Easy & Tasty Lemon Drizzle Cake Recipe
This is an easy-peasy baking recipe for a gorgeous lemon drizzle cake – perfect for everything from parties to everyday teatimes. You can whip up this simple cake batter in next to no time – then prepare the sweet tangy drizzling syrup while it’s cooking in the oven. Pour the syrup over and let it sink into the cake while it’s still warm. Then slice and enjoy!
- Recipe serves: 10
- Prep Time 30 min
- Cook Time 60 min
- 175 g (6oz) self-raising flour
- 1 level tsp baking powder
- 175 g (6oz) Flora Cuisine or Buttery
- 175 g (6oz) caster sugar
- 3 Medium eggs
- 2 tbsp semi-skimmed milk
- finely grated rind of 2 lemons
- -Lemon syrup-
- Juice of 2 lemons, strained
- 115 g (4oz) caster sugar
- Sift the flour and baking powder (use ½ tsp only baking powder if using Buttery) into a large mixing bowl, add the remaining cake ingredients and beat with a wooden spoon until smooth.
- Spoon the mixture into a greased and base lined 1kg (2lb) loaf tin.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 180°C, 160°C fan, gas mark 4 for 1 hour or until cooked.
- Turn out onto a wire tray.
- Put the lemon juice and sugar in a saucepan and heat gently until the sugar has dissolved.
- Whilst cake is warm, drizzle the syrup over so that it soaks into the cake.