Easy & Tasty Sticky Ginger Cake Recipe
This rich sweet sticky ginger cake recipe is easy to make but will get you loads of compliments at teatime. Melt together Flora, muscovado sugar, treacle and golden syrup then add cinnamon, ginger and chopped stem ginger (not forgetting flour of course!). Beat in an egg and bake… it’s great as it is but you can also make a simple ginger glaze icing to drizzle over once it’s cool.
- Recipe serves: 6
- Prep Time 15 min
- Cook Time 50 min
- 225 g (8oz) self-raising flour, sieved
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 115 g (4oz) Flora Cuisine or Buttery
- 115 g (4oz) dark muscovado sugar
- 115 g black treacle
- 115 g golden syrup
- 250 ml (9 fl oz) semi-skimmed milk
- 85 g (3oz) stem ginger in syrup finely chopped
- 1 egg
- -Ginger glace icing-
- 100 g (3½oz) icing sugar, sieved
- 2– 3 tbsp ginger syrup
- 25 g (1oz) stem ginger finely chopped
- Preheat oven to 180°C, 160°C fan, gas mark 4. Grease and line a deep 18cm round cake tin.
- Combine the flour, bicarbonate of soda and spices into a mixing bowl.
- Melt Flora with the sugar, treacle, syrup and milk over a gentle heat, until the sugar has dissolved.
- Add the stem ginger to the flour, pour in the melted ingredients, stir thoroughly, then add the egg and beat together.
- Pour the batter into the tin and bake for 50 minutes to 1 hour.
- Leave to cool completely before turning out onto a cooling rack.
- Make the icing by blending the sugar with 2–3 tablespoons of ginger syrup to form a runny icing (adding 1–2 teaspoons of water if necessary) and drizzle over the top of the cake finishing with the stem ginger.